Let’s tackle the obvious point first – why would you want to attract the best talent to your business? It’s true that you need a mix of skill levels to move business forward, however, the best companies employ true superstars who do more than most to drive new sales, growth and innovation. Old Pareto was certainly right… 80% of new sales will come from the top 20% of your workforce and without them, your business would be in intensive care. To attract and retain these people, your BRAND is everything.
Very few companies have the brand they would like… and this is massively important when attracting the best talent, because the best people want to be associated with the best companies. A company’s brand has to come (in part) from the CEO, and a good CEO doesn’t just create a brand of admiration around them (which can wither and die very quickly); they create a rock-solid brand that is visible throughout of the company.
So you’ve got a great brand… now what?
The star players in your space need to be thinking about your company when they decide to move. How can you make this happen? Here are a few ideas:
- Create a “target list” of current and future stars to watch
- Reach out to them regularly
- Have coffees and lunches with them every few months
- Some companies even have future “career conversations” with these people – this is VERY effective because it allows them to picture themselves working at your company
- Work with a select few recruiters to headhunt brilliant people
The truth is, attracting and keeping the best people is a full-time job, and one that you must do to be a market leader… the moment you don’t prioritise it, your competition has the upper hand.